The Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University Act clearly states the objects and approaches of the University in its first schedule. Some of the major objectives are as follows :
- To make higher, vocational and technical education available to large sections of the population.
- To give special attention to the needs of the disadvantaged groups, in particular, people in the rural areas and the women.
- To relate all courses to the developmental needs of individuals, institutions and the state.
- To provide innovative, flexible and open systems of education by using the distance teaching methodology and by applying modern communication technologies to education.
- To provide continuing, adult and extension education. Special attention is to be given to retraining adults in new skills to enable them to adjust to a changing technological environment.
- To provide for postgraduate studies and research opportunities in all fields of knowledge, especially in educational technology, distance education and development communication.
Maharashtra has a long and rich tradition of educational reforms. Jyotiba Phule, Panjabrao Deshmukh, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar, Bhaurao Patil, Swami Ramanand Teerth and other great thinkers and reformers have contributed to educational philosophy and movement. It was therefore appropriate that the state realized the need of an Open University. The University was established on 1st July 1989 through Act XX of 1989 of the Maharashtra State Legislature and justly was named after Yashwantrao Chavan, Maharashtra’s great educational thinker, political leader and builder of modern Maharashtra. The Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University (YCMOU) has its headquarters at Nashik, a city 200 kilometers North of Mumbai.
Main Features of the University:
- The University Act has certain special features which create its distinct identity.
- The goal of the University is to become a ‘Mass Varsity’. The programmes are therefore conceptualized and designed with this goal in sight.
- Most of the programmes are offered in the regional language (Marathi)
- The programmes lay a major emphasis on vocational/technical courses.
- The University is committed to becoming self sufficient in operational costs.
- The University aims at using the latest techniques and technologies in its task of imparting education.
- The University develops linkages so as to become instrumental in the developmental and transformational processes of the society around.
- The University has evolved a work culture in its organization in which accountability rather than authority is the key feature of each post.
The structure, functioning and philosophy of the University is different from conventional universities. It has relaxed entry rules, flexibility in course combination, flexibility in choosing the place of study, provision of individualized study, etc.
Duration: The M. Phill. Programme has a duration of 18 Months ( Theory 1 Year) plus research project six months
Master’s degree in concerned subjects with at least 55 % (50 % for candidates of reserve category as per UGC Norms). Preferences will be given to in-service candidates in the higher learning institution / research institutions recognized by U.G.C. / State Government. The detailed information is available in the program guide. The selection of the candidates for M. Phill. Program shall be done on the basis of the following
- Percentage of Marks Obtained in Masters Degree
- Experience in education or resear field(1 Mark per year)
- Reservation according Government policy
Obtained by combining percent Marks of Masters Degree and Marks given for experience.
The School of Commerce & Management has been established to offer management education programs to the learners through flexible mode of learning. As the name suggests, this school works in the broad area of Commerce as well as the newer area of Management Science. The “School of Commerce and Management” is one of the eight schools of studies in the Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nashik and was established in 1989 with the objective of providing high quality commerce and Management education.
Almost all the programmes run by the School are of professional in nature. The programmes like MBA, Ph.D. are 100% career oriented because most of the learners, who takes admission in these courses are already employed, therefore, these programmes can be seen as value addition for them. Programme like B.Com. is also career oriented to the extent of 75%, as it provides opportunities to the learners in banking and other industries. Programmes like M.Com. and M.Phil. are also career oriented to the extent of 75% because after getting these programmes, learners gets the opportunities like a Teacher in a College or Jr. College, who are working in banking and other industries.
The School provides for vertical and lateral mobility to the learners. A learner completing B.Com. programme can go to M.Com. and thereafter may take admission for M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes. A learner who completes B.Com. programme can go to B.A. programme of the university by way of a lateral mobility through credit transfer facility
M.Lib inLibrary Science:
The School of Commerce & Management has been established to offer management education programs to the learners through flexible mode of learning. As the name suggests, this school works in the broad area of Commerce as well as the newer area of Management Science. The “Library & Information Sciences” is one of the eight schools of studies in the Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nashik and was established in 1989 with the objective of providing high quality Library & Information Sciences