The college has a well equipped airy, spacious and partially computerized library and reading room, have separate building of 8800sq.ft. Ground floor is used for stack room, circulation section and office administration and first floor for Boys’ Study Room and second floor for Girls’ Study Room.
Library is a nucleus of teaching, learning and research process. Our College Library has been playing a vital role in over all development of the college since its inception.
AIMS OF THE LIBRARY
Various course and educational programmes are taught in the college. Our College library supports –
- To develop collection of reading material useful for various cources.
- To provide various library services and facilities to the readers.
- To support research activity for its progress and qualitative development.
- To preserve and conserve the collection of reading material in the library.
- To support parent institution for developing quality of learning and teaching.
Every year the college constitutes Library Committee for its smooth functioning of its activities. The main objective of library committee are to decide and adopt policies to govern the management and programme of the library, to prepare the annual budget, rules and regulations of the library. The committee also looks into students grievances, if any. The committee consist, of Principal as Ex-officio, Librarian as Secretary and senior faculty members and students representative. The committee formed for the year 2009-10 is as under.
- Principal Dr. H. B. Patil Ex-Officio Chairman.
- Prof. S. M. Ruikar- Committee Chairman
- Prof. S. Y. Hongekar Member
- Prof. Mrs. S. M. Joshi Member
- Prof. S. G. Patil Member
- Prof. Dr. Mrs. S. S. Kalatkar Member
- Prof. Dr. N. B. Patil Member
- Prof. Dr. V. S. Dhekale Member
- Prof. S. B. More (Librarian) Secretary
- Mr. Makrand Mallappa Kumbhar Student representative
- Miss. Akshta Pratapchandra Rasam Ladies representative
Two meetings of library committee are organized in an academic year, i.e. one in first term and another second term.
THE LIBRARY BUILDING AND ITS SECTIONS
The college has a well equipped airy, spacious and computerised library.
1. Ground Floor : (Area 3200 Sq. ft)
- Librarians Office
- Circulation Section
- Text Book Section
- Main Stack Room
- Internet Facility
- Reprography Unit.
2. First Floor – (Area 2400 Sq. ft.)
- Reference and periodical section
- Book Acquisition
- Processing Unit.
- Study Room for girls and faculty members.
- Virtual Learning centre
3. Third Floor - (Area 3200 sq. ft.)
- Study Room for Boys.
SEATING CAPACITY OF THE READERS
- Reference and periodical section = 50 (Faculty members and girls)
- Girls Study Room = 50 (Girls)
- Boys Study Room = 250 (Boys)
Library Working Hours
1. Circulation Section
- Monday to Saturday = 7.30 am to 6 pm
- Sunday – 10 am to 5 pm
2. Reference and Periodical Section - 10 am to 6 pm.
3. Office Hours - 10 am to 6 pm
4. Reading Room for Boys - 7.30 am to 9.30 pm
The Library has an extensive collection of books and journals covering all aspects of Arts, Commerce, Science, Computer Science, Business Administration, Computer Application, Biotechnology, Environmental Science, Library and Information Science etc.
The Periodical Section is a vital source for academic research and up – to – date – information. We subscribe 65 journals and periodicals of various subjects and fifteen newspapers with their multipal copies and are made available to faculty members in their staff room and students in Boys Study Room, Ladies Room and Ladies hostel.
Total Holding as on – 31 – 3 – 2009
1. Total Books –
- Senior College: 62,006
- Junior College : 23,556
- Total Books: 85,562
2. Non – Book Materials
- C. Ds.: 562
- Audio Cassettes: 24
3. Library and Information Science Department –
- M. Phil. Dissertations: 22
- M. Lib. Dissertations: 137
- B. Lib and I. Sc. Newspaper clipping: 141
4. Number of Periodicals
- Subscribed: 63
- Graties: 02
- Total (Appendix – I): 65
5. Newspaper: 15
6) Total Cost of books as on 31 – 3 – 2009
- Senior College Books Rs. 55,82,124/-
- Junior College Books Rs. 15,46,107/-
Total Cost : Rs.71,28,231/-
Addition of Books in the year 2009-10 (upto 30-09-2009)
|Particulars||Sr. College||Jr. College|
|Price||Rs. 1,26,230||Rs. 70,440|
- First Year – B.A., B. Com., B. Sc., BCS, BBA, BCA.
- Second Year – B.A., B. Com., B. Sc., BCS, BBA, BCA.
- Third Year – B.A., B. Com, B. Sc., BCS., BBA, BCA.
All the students, faculty members and non-teaching staff of the college are entitled to get the membership of the library.
Readers of the library are as follows –
- Senior College Students: 2971
- Junior College Students: 2997
- New Model English School
- Jr. College Student: 2022
4. Teaching staff.
- Senior college: 71
- Junior college: 93
5. Non-Teaching Staff: 124
6. Readers from the society: 41
7. Students of YCMOU: 65
Total Readers: 8384
Library Services and Facilities
The library has a key role in supporting the academic activities of the institution by establishing, maintaining are promoting the following library and information services, both quantitatively and qualitatively.
1. Borrowing facility
- Each Student: 2 Books
- Meritorious Student: More than 2 Books
- Duration: 7 days
c) Faculty Members: No Limit to issue books
Duration: one academic year
d)Non-Teaching Statt: 10 books
Duration: one month
e)Other Readers: 2 books
Duration: 15 days
Books for competitive examinations such as MPSC, UPSC, MH-CET, MBA-CET, MBA-CET, NDA, NET/SET, IIT-JEE, C.A. foundation are also issued on the identity cards.
One extra book useful for MH-CET, AIEEE and IIT Examination to junior college science students, for a week, who are going to appear for these examination.
Current journals are displayed on racks and the back issues are issued for seven days.
2. Book Bank Facility
A set of text books is issued between two students of Senior and Junior college for the academic year as per their demand. The sets of all text books are also issued to the students who secure highest percentage of marks in the class and those who stand in the merit list of University, S.S.C. Board Exam. The number of student of senior college benefited under the scheme during the last five years.
Year No. of student
Current issues of journals and periodicals are in the “Reference and Periodical Section” and are made available to students and faculty members.
Back issues of journals and periodicals are issued for home-lending for a week.
4. Open Access:
Open Access facility to staff members, third year and meritorious students is available for effective use of library resources.
5. Study Room:
Study Room Facility is available to students and faculty members, during the library hours i.e. 7.30 am to 9.30 pm.
Reprography facility is available to all students and staff members at a charges of Rs. 1= 00. per copy.
7. Internet Facility:
A large number of resources are available on the web and students are provided with five computers for internet facilities. The broad-band internet facility is available in the library for students and faculty. It is free of charge for faculty, while at nominal charges of Rs. 5/- per hour for students. EBSCO data base is made available at free of charge from Y.C.M.O.U.
8. Current Awareness Service – (CAS)
Every month we issue a list of new arrivals and also issue Xerox copy of content page of research journals to respective department. This list of new arrival is also displayed on the notice board for information of students. New arrivals (books) are displayed on Display Stand for seven days.
9. Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI) -
The SDI Service is given daily to faculty and students by supplying update current affairs, News paper clipping, latest books, etc.
10. Reference Service –
The reference books are made available to the readers during library hours. The personal assistance as guidance and help is provided, if required to the new readers to make use of the reference book.
11. Question Papers –
The sets of university examination question papers are made available to faculty and students from the library.
12. Inter Library Loan Facility –
The library can borrow the books from other libraries or issues the books to other libraries on Inter Library Loan Basis for a limited period of time. Some of the staff members are also the members of Shivaji University Library and make use of University Library according to their need. Our library can borrow or issue the books to the following libraries.
- DK. ASC. College Ichalkaranji
- Mahaveer College, Kolhapur
- New College, Kolhapur
- Rajaram College Kolhapur
- Rajarshi Shahu College, Kolhapur
- Padmabhushan Vasantraodada Patil Mahavidyala, Tasgaon
- Shri Vijaysinh Yadav Arts & Science College, Pethvadgaon
13. User Orientation
Orientation to the fresh students for effective use of library and awareness about the services are given in the month of June / July of each year.
14. Library Facility to Outside readers
To ensure optimum use of the library collection and to generate additional financial resources, library has started “Library Deposit Scheme” to provide an opportunity to off the campus users to avail the facilities of library resources.
15. Library Computerization
Our college library is fully computerized. The library uses SLIM-21 software developed by Algorthythms Consultants Pvt. Ltd., Pune for library automation. OPAC is provided for searching of documents. The library is having seven terminals for daily routine work and five terminals for internet access. Researchers of library and information science take the benefit of EBSCO database. The work of bar-coding is also completed, which helps for effective and speedy transaction of books.
16. New Arrivals
New Arrivals (books) received by the library are displayed on “Display Stand” for seven days and send the list to the respective departments for the information of teachers and students.
17. Other Curricular activities –
- Orientation to the new students for effective use of library.
- Guidance to degree college students for their projects e.g. B. C. S. Students.
- Notification of changes in curriculum if any, from time to time to faculty and students.
- To encourage and promote the reading habits of the students and faculty -
- Library organizes book exhibitions from time to time.
- Library organizes “Book Review Competition” for the students.
- To create awareness, about the library and its functions and to encourage students, B.Lib & I.Sc., M.Lib & I.Sc., and M. Phil programmes of Yashavantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nishik are started by the library from 2004-05, 2003-04 and 2006-07 respectively.
- On the occasion of “The Vivekanand Jayantee Saptah” we organize book exhibition on Vivekanand and his work on 12th and 13th January every year.
- We organised workshop for the guidance of “SET Examination Students ” on every Sunday from 21/7/09 to 30/8/09 for the M.Lib & I.Sc. passed students. Subject experts from Pune, Mumbai and Sangli are invited for the guidance.
- We propose to felicitate the first two students who make use of maximum number of books from the library from Arts, Commerce, Science stream.
LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE EDUCATION CENTRE –
The ”School of Library and Information Science” of YCMOU is one of the most prestigious library science schools in the Open Education system in India. B. Lib & I.Sc., M. Lib & I.Sc. as well as M.Phil. courses are run by the library. Miss Kolhatakar Netra Suhas student of M.Lib & I.Sc. Stood first, Shri Kurade Sandip Rajaram Student of B. Lib & I.Sc stood first and Miss Gaikavad Megharani student of B.Lib & I.Sc stood first in Maharashtra State at University Examinations held in May, 2006, May 2008, and May, 2009, respectively. These courses are conducted on every Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.
Every year we generate funds of Rs. 11,000/- from B. Lib & I.Sc Rs. 16,250/-, from M.Lib & I.Sc. and Rs. 47,270/- from M.Phil Course for library development.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES FROM THE ACADEMIC YEAR 2004-05 ONWARDS
Vivekanand College, library has offered additional library services to the readers:
- We have increased half an hours library working hours.
- On Sunday, the library services are made available from 10 am to 5 pm to the readers.
- ‘Reference and periodical section’ have been independently started.
- For smooth and efficient library working ‘SLIM-21′ library software has been installed and library has been fully computerized. Six terminals are connected.
- Five terminals are connected for internet access.
- The library organizes ‘Book Review Competition’ for students in Hindi, Marathi and English language every year during Diwali vacation.
- ‘Vertual Learning Centre’ has been started in co-operation with Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nashik.
- OPAC facility
9. Collection – Addition of books and reading materials during the last five years (Sr. and Jr. College)
10. Statement showing year-wise issue of Book
(Sr. and Jr. College)
- Automation of in-house factors of all the sections of the library.
- To establish networking with other college and University Libraries.
- To start indexing and abstracting service of periodicals in the library.
LIBRARY RULES FOR STUDENTS
A. General :-
- Identity Card is compulsory for all enrolled students for availing of library facilities.
- Identity Card will be issued by the librarian on presentation of admission receipt and photograph along with prescribed application form.
- Duplicate Identity Card will be issued after payment of Rs. 100/- along with prescribed application form.
- Misbehaviour and misuse of Identity Card is an offence and the student responsible for the same is liable for disciplinary action.
- Suggestion box is kept in the library. Constructive suggestions/complaints are entertained.
- In case of any grievances the users should contact to Librarian or Principal.
- Readers of the library may recommend resources for procurement. The library will procure the books and journals on approval by the principal.
B. Issue Section –
- One Borrowers Ticket is issued free of cost to each student.
- Two Books are issued on the Borrower’s Ticket and they can be retained with the reader only for seven days.
- Reference/Rare books are not issued out, however, they are made available in the library during library hours.
- Students can borrow books on “Borrower’s Ticket” as per the time – table given below.
- Monday: BA III, BBAII , B.Sc. I, XI Arts,
- Tuesday: BBAI , BCS I, XIISci., XI Com.
- Wednesday: B.Com III, BCA III, XIIArts, XI Sci.,
- Thursday: B.Com II, B. Sc. II, B.CA II, XII Com.
- Friday: B. Sc. III, BCS III BA I, B. Com I.
- Saturday: BBA, III, BCA III, BA II, BCS I.
- Books and other reading materials borrowed by the readers are liable to recall back at any time and shall be returned within 24 hours.
- Overdue Charges of 50 paise per day will be charged for overdue.
- Students should take care of the books issued to them. They should inform about missing pages of the books to the library staff immediately after the receipt in the book.
- The lost/torn books are to be replaced with the latest edition, otherwise double price of the book will be charged or Rs. 50/- which is more.
- Belongings should be kept at the counter when students are entering in the library stack.
C. Study Room:
“Study Room” is kept open from 7.30 am to 9.00 pm. on all working days.
- No admission is permitted in study room without Identity Card.
- Students can borrow text books, journals, question paper sets on their Identity Card in the study room.
- Books / Study materials issued in the study room will have to be returned before leaving the study room, otherwise a fine of Rs. 10/- will be charged per day.
- Indiscipline/ misbehaviour of the student will be liable for the disciplinary action.
- Librarian: 01
- Asst. Librarian: 01
- Lib. Clerks: 05
- Lib. Attendants: 07
- Name: Mr. Sambhaji Bhagwan More
- Educational Qualification: M.A., M.Com., M.Lib., & I, Sc.
- Date of Appointment: June 15, 1973.
- Active College Librarian Award (1994)
- Granth Mitra Puraskar (May 2009)
WORK DISTRIBUTION TO THE LIBRARY STAFF:
|Name and Designation||Work Distribution|
| 1. Mr. S.B. More,
|1. Library development and Administration
2. Acquisition of books
3. Book classification
4. Bills payments
5. Coordinator and Councilor of B.Lib.,
M.Lib., M.Phil. Courses.
6. User Orientation
| 2. Mr. H. S. Salunkhe,
(M.A., B.Lib. & I.Sc.)
|1. Stock Verification Report
2. Control over library dues, staff and student
3. Study room administration
4. Subject wise expenditure
5. To help the librarian in the library
| 3. Mrs. S.P. Patil,
|1. Acquisition of periodicals
2. Book issuing to staff members
3. Reprographic unit accounting
4. Library statistics
5. To help the Assit. Librarian in library
| 4. Mr. R.R. Salunkhe
|1. Accessioning of books
3. Reference service
4. Periodical section administration
5. Issuing of subjectwise list of books to
| 5. Mr. A.A. Mhaswade
|1. Overall responsibility of circulation section.
2. Preparation of database of the library.
| 6. Miss. S.A. Jagtap
|1. Issuing of Identity cards.
2. Home lending to junior college students
and administration of book bank.
3. To issue library no dues.
| 7. Miss. P.P. Jadhav
|1. Administration of book bank facility to
senior college students.
2. Issuing of Borrower tickets.
3. Preparation of database.
4. Home lending to MH-CET students.
5. Internet facility and accounting.
Lib. Attendants :
- Mr. B.A. Nare [B.Com. B.Lib. & Isc.]
- Mr. B.S. Khot [B.Com.]
- Mr. S.M. Kamble [B.A.]
- Mr. D.B. Pimpalkar [Std. X]
- Mr. R.S. Dinde [Std. X]
- Smt. N.S. Patil [Std. X]
- Sou. M.D. Gurav [Std. X]
The library welcomes suggestions from users in order to improve its services to its reader.
WE WANT YOU TO MAKE OPTIMUM USE OF THE RICH COLLECTION OUR LIBRARY HAS.
For further information contact:
Mr. Sambhaji B. More. Librarian
APPENDIX – I
List of Research Journals 2009-10
|Class No.||Sr. No.||Title||Language||Periodicity|
|020||Library and Information Science|
|03||DESIDOC Bulletin of Information Science||English||Quarterly|
|04||Samaj Prabodhan Patrika||Marathi||Quarterly|
|06||Economic and Political Weekly||English||Weekly|
|10||Resource Journal of Science Education||English||Monthly|
|12||Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy||English||Quarterly|
|13||Research Journal of Chemistry and Environment||English||Quarterly|
|14||Journal of Chemical Science||English||Monthly|
|15||Agrobios News Letter||English||Monthly|
|16||Journal of Bioscience||English||Monthly|
|17||Journal of Genetics||English||Monthly|
|18||Indian Writing in English||English||Quarterly|
|21||Samkalin Bharatiya Sahitya||Hindi||Monthly|
|23||Bharatiya Etihas ani Sanshodan Patrika||Marathi||Quarterly|
APPENDIX – II
List of Periodicals 2009-10
|Class No.||Sr. No.||Title||Language||Periodicity|
|11||Prabhodhan Prabosh Joti||Marathi||Monthly|
|18||Competition Science Vision||English||Monthly|
|20||Electronic for you||English||Monthly|
|21||Physics for you||English||Monthly|
|25||Down to Earth||English||Monthly|
The best reader award is given to the three students in the academic year. We have started B. Lib. & I. Sc., M. Lib. & I. Sc. and M. Phil. course of Yashvantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nashik. Prof. S. B. More Librarian, Coordinator and Counselor B. Lib & Int.Sci, M.Lib & Int.Sci. & M.Phil (Lib & Int.Sci) Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University, Nasik